The CliSAP Research Group Climate Change and Security (CRG CLISEC) conducts multi-disciplinary research on the potential security risks and conflicts of climate change and climate engineering and on possible strategies for international cooperation, conflict management and sustainable peace. The analysis is based on an integrated framework of the linkages between climate change, natural resources, human security and societal stability, including water, food, energy and migration.
Current research focuses on empirical data, field research and modeling tools at global and local scales, using spatial mapping, agent-based modeling and social network analysis to study human responses and interactions in rural areas, urban systems and river deltas with a specific emphasis on climate hot spots in Northern Africa and Sahel, Southern Asia and the Himalaya region.
In particular, our research deals with:
- Evidence on the climate-conflict link
- Regional case studies in Northern Africa
- Water conflict and cooperation
- Climate change and environmental migration
- Climate securitization, energy landscapes and climate engineering
- Gender and climate change
The CLISEC group website offers further information on activities, publications, and collaborations.
- Rodriguez Lopez, J. M., Heider, K., & Scheffran, J. (2017). Human and remote sensing data to investigate the frontiers of urbanization in the south of Mexico City. Data in Brief, 11, 5-11. doi:10.1016/j.dib.2016.12.049.
- Abid, M., Schilling, J., Scheffran, J., & Zulfiqar, F. (2016). Climate change vulnerability, adaptation and risk perceptions at farm level in Punjab, Pakistan. Science of the Total Environment, 547, 447-460. doi:10.1016/j.scitotenv.2015.11.125.
- Schäfer, M., Scheffran, J., & Penniket, L. (2016). Securitization of media reporting on climate change? A cross-national analysis in nine countries. Security Dialogue, 47(1), 76-96. doi:10.1177/0967010615600915.
- Wambui Ngaruiya, G., & Scheffran, J. (2016). Actors and networks in resource conflict resolution under climate change in rural Kenya. Earth System Dynamics, 7, 441-452. doi:10.5194/esd-7-441-2016.
- Link, M., Scheffran, J., & Ide, T. (2016). Conflict and cooperation in the water-security nexus: a global comparative analysis of river basins under climate change. Wiley Interdisciplinary Reviews: Water. doi:10.1002/wat2.1151.