CliSAP research topic B4 focusses the most extreme storms in various regions of the Earth, ranging from polar lows in the Arctic, medicanes over the Mediterranean, typhoons or hurricances in the tropics to even the large scale cyclonic weather systems in the extra-tropics. In the centre of interest are their changing statistics and their potential impacts on the marine environment (e.g. surges, waves).
CliSAP B4 research objectives cover:
- characteristics of tropical cyclone activities and associated impacts
- characteristics of European storminess
- links between storm climates in different ocean basins
- links to their large scale driving conditions
- storm induced impacts on the coastal climate and on coastal communities
Subject in these analyses are past, ongoing and expected changes in an anthropogenically warmed world, and the consistency of ongoing change with projections of different future climate scenarios.
In their research CliSAP B4 scientists combine sophisticated modeling techniques and indirect methods based on storm proxies from oceanic or coastal sediments and on surface air pressure statistics.
- Schubert-Frisius, M., Feser, F., von Storch, H., & Rast, S. (in press). Optimal spectral nudging for global dynamical downscaling. Monthly Weather Review. doi:10.1175/MWR-D-16-0036.1.
- Gagen, M. H., Zorita, E., McCarroll, D., Zahn, M., Young, G. H. F., & Robertson, I. (2016). North Atlantic summer storm tracks over Europe dominated by internal variability over the past millennium. Nature Geoscience, 9, 630-635. doi:10.1038/ngeo2752.
- Yanase, W., Niino, H., Watanabe, S., Hodges, K., Zahn, M., Spengler, T., & Gurvich, I. A. (2016). Climatology of Polar Lows over the Sea of Japan Using the JRA-55 Reanalysis. Journal of Climate, 29, 419-437. doi:10.1175/JCLI-D-15-0291.1.
- Frisius, T., & Lee, M. (2016). The impact of gradient wind imbalance on tropical cyclone intensification within Ooyama’s three-layer model. Journal of the Atmospheric Sciences, 3659-3679. doi:10.1175/JAS-D-15-0336.1.
- Li, D., von Storch, H., & Geyer, B. (2016). Testing reanalyses in constraining dynamical downscaling. Journal of the Meteorological Society of Japan, 94A, 47-68. doi:doi:10.2151/jmsj.2015-044.