CliSAP successfully finished in 2018. Climate research continues in the Cluster of Excellence "CLICCS".

Elder Care and Care for Relatives

Compatibility of working and family life also includes care of dependant relatives. CliSAP provides support for this. You will find details of the support available, contact partners and further information on the legal background here.

Services Available from CliSAP

Student Assistant Hours for Scientists with Family Commitments
CliSAP addresses the compatibility of work and family commitment- such as eldercare - and provides financial ressources for student assistant hours for scientists with familiy commitments (5h/week for 3 months). This measure aims to allow the applicants more flexibility for research and familiy commitment. The actual call for applications will end on 30 September 2017. Further information on applying can be found here:

Event "Wie sorge ich vor?"

Things can change suddenly, and not just for the elderly: anyone might find him or herself unable to lead an independent life or become responsible for providing nursing care to a relative. What will happen if I have to depend on others? What kind of care is available? Who can make decisions or take action? What are the best provisions to make? Read on the report of the event "Wie sorge ich vor?" organazied by CliSAP in cooperation with the Cluster of Exzellence "The Hamburg Centre for Ultrafast Imaging (CUI)", and the Family Offices of Universität Hamburg (UHH), the Hamburg University of Applied Science (HAW), and the Hamburg University of Technology (TUHH).

Contact Partners and Information

Universität Hamburg
The university has information on care of relatives:

The following contact partners can provide information on the legal situation regarding time off for care of relatives, leave of absence, special leave and flexible working hours:

City of Hamburg
The City of Hamburg provides legal information and services:

Courses and Advice for Relatives
The school for relatives (Angehörigenschule) is independent and isn’t attached to any care institution. You can receive free advice and get information about individual courses here:

Worklife (Coordination Center for Work and Family, KWB)

Worklife offers extensive information and brochures for caregivers. They also regularly organize free events.

Occupational Health Service (FHH)

Here, caregivers employed by the City of Hamburg (FHH) are offered advice and check ups for signs of physical stress.

Legal Information

German Nursing Care Leave Act

Short-Term Leave for Care of Relatives (up to ten days)
If someone in your family needs short-term nursing care, you can apply for up to ten days of unpaid leave as pursuant to Section 2 German Nursing Care Leave Act (PflegeZG).
Long-Term 'Nursing Care Time' (up to six months)

If long-term care is required, you are entitled to up to six months unpaid leave. This only applies to employers with more than 15 employees as pursuant to Section 3 (PflegeZG).


German Family Care Leave Act

The German Family Care Leave Act is a voluntary agreement under German labor law. Here you can find a suggestion from the Federal Ministry of Justice on how you can manage your time off for family care (for a maximum of two years) in agreement with your employer.