Research Topic B-5: Urban Systems accentuates the research on the regional manifestations of climate impacts and the socio-cultural dimension of climate. UHH meteorologists, soil scientists, biologists and geographers closely collaborate with partners of the DWD, HCU, BSU and other stakeholders in Hamburg.
The research in Urban Systems broadens the knowledge pool on the urban climate system, using the Metropolitan region of Hamburg as a test bed.
This research topic is a structural element of CliSAP to trigger coordinated and integrated research on urban systems. The foci lie on the following research topics, which are of fundamental interest for understanding climate changes in and their impacts on urban systems:
Urban climate risks: Relating potential risks of urban climate change to social areas and coping capacities of social groups in order to guide adaptation strategies, which are be analysed in cooperation with RA-C.
Local influences: Determining to what degree urban climate can be influenced and controlled by human actions.
Implications for urban planning: Deriving implications for future town planning, architectural design, urban safety, and urban governance.
Urban Systems serves as the focal point for research on urban climate systems at CliSAP and in the City of Hamburg.
Urban Climate is the local climate in urban areas. The urban climate is modified by the specific properties of the urban fabric and often features phenomena such as the urban heat island, where under certain conditions urban temperatures are increased compared to temperature in the surrounding rural areas.
- Wang, R., Cai, M., Ren, C., Bechtel, B., Xu, Y., & Ng, E. (2019). Detecting multi-temporal land cover change and land surface temperature in Pearl River Delta by adopting local climate zone. Urban Climate, 28: 100455. doi:10.1016/j.uclim.2019.100455.
- Liu, Z., Zhan, W., Lai, J., Hong, F., Quan, J., Bechtel, B., Huang, F., & Zou, Z. (2019). Balancing prediction accuracy and generalization ability: A hybrid framework for modelling the annual dynamics of satellite-derived land surface temperatures. ISPRS Journal of Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, 151, 189-206. doi:10.1016/j.isprsjprs.2019.03.013.
- Bechtel, B., Alexander, P. J., Beck, C., Böhner, J., Brousse, O., Ching, J., Demuzere, M., Fonte, C., Gál, T., Hidalgo, J., Hoffmann, P., Middel, A., Mills, G., Ren, C., See, L., Sismanidis, P., Verdonck, M.-L., Xu, G., & Xu, Y. (2019). Generating WUDAPT Level 0 data – Current status of production and evaluation. Urban Climate, 27, 24-45. doi:10.1016/j.uclim.2018.10.001.
- Demuzere, M., Bechtel, B., & Mills, G. (2019). Global transferability of local climate zone models. Urban Climate, 27, 46-63. doi:10.1016/j.uclim.2018.11.001.
- Hidalgo, J., Dumas, G., Masson, V., Petit, G., Bechtel, B., Bocher, E., Foley, M., Schoetter, R., & Mills, G. (2019). Comparison between local climate zones maps derived from administrative datasets and satellite observations. Urban Climate, 27, 64-89. doi:10.1016/j.uclim.2018.10.004.