Come join SICSS – School of Integrated Climate System Sciences
Our MSc and doctoral programs both offer a wide range of Earth system sciences.
During your studies and research projects you will acquire a strong background in the fields of natural sciences and climate-relevant aspects of social and economic sciences.
Our interdisciplinary profile will comprehensively equip you for a career as a climate expert!
This is what SICSS has to offer
- A two-year MSc and a three-year doctoral program in the field of integrated climate system sciences.
- Excellent education and personal support, guidance from leading climate experts included.
- An international environment with students from all over the world.
- An excellent location to study, work and live in the heart of Hamburg – one of Germany’s most favorite and livable cities.
- A career support program and a wide range of expert courses as well as technical and soft skills training.
- And, last but not least, a tuition free graduate education program.
Welcome to SICSS
Climate change is one of the most recognized and intensely debated issues in nearly all societies. Global warming is being discussed to impact for example
- islands and coasts by seal level rise and increasing storm events,
- artic and alpine landscapes by rising temperatures and thawing of permafrost,
- drylands by a further rise of droughts and fire events,
- or the temperate zone by changed land use abilities and affected food security.
However, the detailed knowledge on processes of the earth system and the interlinkages of natural science, economics and social science is the precondition for an understanding and a continuous improvement of predicting climate change and subsequently to develop and evaluate mitigation and adaptation measures.
The School of integrated Climate System Sciences (SICSS) offers a master’s and a doctoral program equipping you with the expertise necessary for working as an expert in various fields of climate change: as a researcher in the fields of natural, social and economic sciences, as a consultant or as an expert in national and international organizations. The high level of disciplinary and interdisciplinary research, the individual support and supervision given, as well as the international atmosphere at Universität Hamburg are an inspiring background of our career development program.
Enjoy reading our website; I do hope to welcome you to SICCS in Hamburg in the next future.
If you have specific questions do not hesitate to contact the SICCS office, we are happy to help!
Prof. Dr. Annette Eschenbach
Head of SICSS
SICSS is the graduate school originating from the Cluster of Excellence on Integrated Climate System Analysis and Prediction (CliSAP). CliSAP is funded within the framework of the Excellence Initiative of the German federal and state governments. CliSAP partners are Universität Hamburg, the Max Planck Institute for Meteorology, the Helmholtz-Zentrum Geesthacht and the German Climate Computing Center.