How to Apply for the SICSS Master's Program
The following information gives you a brief overview of the application process. If you would like to find out more please check our application guidelines, here you will find all information necessary for your successful application.
Applications will be accepted between February 15th and March 31st every year.
Who can apply for the master's program?
- Do you hold a Bachelor's degree in a subject related to climate system sciences such as meteorology, oceanography or environmental physics?
- Do you have a solid background in mathematics and physics documented by at least 90 ECTS credit points in the European Credit Transfer System?
- Are you sufficiently proficient in English?
- Do you enjoy new challenges, like having to combine concepts from different disciplines?
If your answer to all those questions above is ‘YES’ we would be happy to consider your application!
How to apply for the master's program?
The application process for the SICSS MSc program consists of two steps and may involve personal interviews or online math and physics tests.
- You have to apply online for the SICSS MSc program at Universität Hamburg via STiNE (the student information network).
- You have to submit the signed printout of the completed online registration form as well as the additionally required documents (see our list below) to SICSS, or contact the SICSS Office directly.
Documents for a complete application:
- Letter of motivation (up to two pages)
- Curriculum Vitae (up to two pages)
- BSc certificate or an up-to-date transcript of records of all exams taken, including your grade point average (GPA) to date (uncertified hardcopy)
- For BSc degrees other than geophysics, meteorology or oceanography: a list of courses in mathematics and physics, including credit points and grades (template)
- Higher education (university) entrance qualification certificate, e.g. Abitur certificate or High School diploma (uncertified hardcopy)
- English certificate (uncertified hardcopy)
- Signed printout of the completed online application form (online application is only possible during the application period)
When to apply for the master's program?
Please submit your complete application documents between February 15th and March 31st every year, final decisions will be made in April of each year.
If admitted, you will immediately receive a pre-admission letter by the SICSS Office, followed by an official notification by Universität Hamburg sent via your STiNE account.
Don't forget! Students admitted must re-confirm their intention to enroll at Universität Hamburg within 14 days at the Campus Center of Universität Hamburg.
Courses start in October of each year.