How to apply for the SICSS Doctoral Program
If you have a clear idea of a research topic that fits into one of the CliSAP research groups (link) you are welcome to contact the SICSS office team. We are curious to hear about your plans!
We will guide you through all relevant steps to become a doctoral candidate within CliSAP and a member of SICSS.
To start your research in CliSAP and to apply for the SICSS doctoral program you will have to provide your own funding for the doctoral term.
Unfortunately, at present SICSS is not able to provide any scholarships. But your supervisor and/or the SICSS office team may support you in finding appropriate funding sources. Please check the funding opportunities on our website.
Who can apply?
You are welcome to join the SICSS doctoral program if:
- You hold a very good MSc or other degree comparable to a German university diploma in disciplines or fields related to climate sciences.
- Your research proposal fits into one or more of the CliSAP research areas.
How to apply?
If you meet these criteria, please contact the SICSS Office team and submit the following documents:
- Your letter of motivation illustrating why you wish to join a doctoral education program in general and why you chose SICSS – bearing also your name, title and affiliation.
- Your curriculum vitae (two pages max.)
- Your research proposal (two to three pages) specifically depicting all relevant measures to be taken, like field work, internships at other research institutions, of facilities and infrastrucure required and the added value you are about to contribute to the research activities and goals of CliSAP.
- Your degree certificate/transcript of records
- Your potential supervisor/CliSAP research group. Please check the CliSAP website for details on the CliSAP Research Groups, CliSAP Principal Investigators and CliSAP Participating Researchers.
Please compile all documents in one pdf-file. Subsequently, we will evaluate these documents and provide you with all the information required for the next steps.
Prior to officially applying to the SICSS doctoral program, please conclude the following points:
- You have to reach a preliminary agreement with a CliSAP scientist to ensure accountability and supervision of your doctoral work.
- You have to ensure financial support for the entire three years of your doctoral term. Please find more information about financial support on our website.
- You have to enroll at the Universität Hamburg as a doctoral candidate. Details can be found here.
The SICSS Office team will guide you through these steps. There are no specific admission deadlines for application or enrollment at Universität Hamburg.
For more application details please contact the SICSS Office.