How international media presents climate change
The "Online Media Monitor (OMM) on Climate Change" provides a daily overview of the global media coverage of climate change. To do so, the online tool evaluates Twitter messages in English, as well as reports from 87 media sources in 34 countries. The countries of origin were chosen to include all the most important global regions, although in the initial stages there was a focus on media in English and German.
The analysis included online versions of the leading quality media, like CNN International, The Sidney Morning Herald and Welt Online, as well as tabloid media such as the Daily Mail and a number of online news channels.
A program was developed for the analysis, which uses keywords to find relevant articles on the media’s website and then export them to a database. The program then visualizes the frequency of climate reports graphically.
The analysis of the climate debate on Twitter is already available online, and the analysis of the media coverage will be refined and checked in the course of 2016, prior to being posted online in stages.
- Team: Michael Brüggemann, Remon Sadikni, Stefanie Walter
- Involved in developing the OMM: Ana Ivanova, Alexander Sängerlaub, Asela Rajapakse, Judith Pape
- Student assistents: Helen Greiner, Christian Hammermann, Pinhsin Hu, Maybritt Meyer, Miro Pütz, Sang Ik Suh
- Online Media Monitor (OMM) on Climate Change (Twitter Analysis)
- CliSAP Research Group Media Constructions of Climate Change
- “Climate Matters” website