Characteristics of a Good Mentor
Characteristics of a good mentor are very well described in Burroughs Wellcome Fund and Howard Hughes Medical Institute (2006):
"Good mentors often share some of the following personal qualities:
- Accessibility: An open door and an approachable attitude.
- Empathy: Personal insight into what the trainee is experiencing.
- Open-mindedness: Respect for each trainee’s individuality and for working styles and career goals different from your own.
- Consistency: Acting on your stated principles on a regular basis.
- Patience: Awareness that people make mistakes and that each person matures at his or her own rate.
- Honesty: Ability to communicate the hard truths about the world “out there” and about the trainee’s chances.
- Savvy: Attention to the pragmatic aspects of career development."
Burroughs Wellcome Fund and Howard Hughes Medical Institute (2006):
Making the Right Moves - A Practical Guide to Scientifıc Management for Postdocs and New Faculty. 2nd Edition, 267pp.